SHORT FILM COMPETITION RULES & GUIDELINES
MALAYSIA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL SHORT FILM COMPETITION
- The MIFFest short film competition aims to provide a platform for independent filmmakers showcase their films to a wide range of audiences.
- To encourage aspiring young filmmakers to showcase their hidden talents.
- An opportunity for Malaysia to discover hidden yet extraordinary local films.
- Malaysia International Film Festival unveils ‘Humanity’ as the competition theme and key message.
- Student Submission – Submission Fees waived
- General Submission – RM 20 Submission Fees applicable upon submission. This fee is non-refundable under any circumstances.
- All film submissions must complete the Online Submission Form no later than Friday, 3th November 2017, 11:59pm (GMT+8).
- Any submissions received after the deadline will not be accepted.
- MIFFest short film competition is a juried competition, open to all students and independent filmmakers in Malaysia.
- Short film entries must be from Malaysia.
- Submitted short films must be less than 20 minutes, any submissions longer than 20 minutes are automatically deemed unsuccessful.
- Filmmakers whose entries have been selected for competition will be informed via e-mail only. Please be sure to provide a valid e-mail address with your submission accordingly.
- Submissions may not advertise any product, service, brand, or other commercial interest.
- MIFFest reserves the right to not award a prize when submissions do not meet the jury’s standards for both content and production value.
- A short film is defined as a work of fiction or non-fiction that is 20 minutes or less in length including opening and end credits.
- Theme: Humanity
- Language: All languages
- Subtitles: Films in any other languages other than English must have English subtitles.
- All submissions must complete the Online Film Submission Form. Online submission should be done at MIFFest website.
- Only VIMEO online screeners will be accepted.
- A password protected online screener or preview link is required.
- Please ensure that the online screener is downloadable and accessible till 4th March 2018.
- Submission materials will not be returned. The preview screener will be kept in the Festival’s video library and may be consulted for future uses.
- The Grand Winner from the top 10 selected short films will be decided through an online voting system: 70 percent by juries and 30 percent by general public.
OPENING CEREMONY SCREENING
- The films by the Grand Winner and Public Award winner will be screened during the opening ceremony of the festival on Sunday, 25th February 2018.
Entrants of the above mentioned winning films must agree to this additional screening.
- The selected movies, who will be directly informed by the festival’s management, will need to provide the following additional items, as soon as their selection is notified:
- A picture and a filmography of the director.
- At least 3 Movie stills/pictures from the film (jpeg 300 dpi)
- A poster and trailer (if possible) of the short film.
- Grand Winner
– RM 2,000 cash.
– A movie pass that able to attend all 2nd Malaysia International Film Festival’s film screening and Q&A session.
– 2 VIP tickets (worth RM 1,000) to attend 2nd Malaysia Golden Global Awards.
– Winning film will be screened at 2nd Malaysia International Film Festival opening ceremony.
- Public Award
– Final TOP 10 selected short films are eligible for the Public Award.
– Viewers will be able to cast their vote by liking the short films on MIFFEST and MGGA official Facebook page.
– The film with the highest average audience vote will receive the Public Award but will not determine as the Grand Winner.
The entrant is responsible for all necessary copyright clearances for material used in their submitted works, and shall fully indemnify the Festival from any damage resulting from copyright infringement lawsuits from other parties.